Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Why John Sancho mysteriously disappeared from the District?

"The people are doing nothing.  It is the Government who are rioting and shooting down the people." —Guyanese worker to British soldier: Guiana Chronicle, 5th December 1905  Guyana's 1905 Rebellion - Nigel Westmaas

Patrick,
I am cognizant; the thoughts you shared with me over the years – are as accurate as humanly possible. However, before I had any sense my mother would entice me with tales of her great grand father, Bentick Sancho,  and Tuckness Sancho and her nephew, Alwyn Sancho. I realized Muriel Sancho would become very emotional and very upset whenever she heard the Sancho folk songs. I realized the tales of males of the Sancho kinship as wanton womanizers did not sit well with my mother. I begun thinking John Sancho must have done something really outrageous in the late nineteenth century – before leaving the district for South Trinidad . I must engage myself in the task of locating the reasons for many questions concerning Sancho.
After several years; I still have not found out the reason why John Sancho mysteriously disappeared from the district. I believe it has to do with embezzlement of the village funds. I do not think John Sancho baby-making agenda was the main reason for his disappearance.
Now Cyril Whyte told me; when I locate more than ten children for my great uncles Christopher Sancho and Clarence Sancho, and especially the descendants of Portuguese and East Indians, only then I am really beginning to understand the characteristics of the rural experience in the era of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
After several years I have no definitive identification of the women of Bentick Sancho, and his brothers, John Sancho, and Tuckness Sancho. I believe; Mary Sancho, wife of Bentick Sancho is somehow related to the great grand mother of Winston English. I believe; Mary Sancho is a child of a slave master and a slave. I suspect the parents of Mary Sancho are slave master Bayley of Plantation Haslington – and a relative of Glasgow and Lewis.
Now after digging up – speaking to several folks – a clearer picture of the working people of Cove and John has emerged. While in the GDF I developed an interest in the exploits and trials of Oliver Hinckson. Well I was reliable informed the mother of Oliver Hinckson was birthed at Cove and John Front.
I believe; if the descendants of shareholders of the East Coast Villages become involved in genealogical networking – they would realize they are all inter-related people. Our relatives are located in Barbados as well as in West Africa and elsewhere.
In the final analysis, I am aware; I am unlikely to complete the task of documenting the history of the kinship of Sancho. However, I fully intend to proceed with such efforts which can and/or will be followed and completed by members of future generations of Sancho. That’s about the size of it.
Patrick Barker <PBarker12x@Earthlink.net> wrote:
Hi There Sancho boy. Remember when you started this search I told you that most of the people in Golden Grove, Nabaclis, Victoria, Buxton, Plaisance, Ann's Grove and other villages are related. In many cases this relationship cuts across racial lines. There are many instances where elder family members are ashamed to tell their youngsters how that relationship exist, because people disregarded family relationships and inter-marry their cousins.
My grandfather told me that young men were going to other villages and unknowingly marrying their cousins only to find out later how close that relationship is.
A perfect example is your friend Cutter Barker who only discovered that the woman his is marrying the next day was his cousin. Ironically they are both related to the Ward, Perry, English, Smith, Simon, Rodney, Lewis, Harry, Charles and many others. On my journey home, my Uncles will mention a name and then tell me how that family relationship exist.
That is why when you asked me to commence of the very journey you are taking I declined. I just did not want to be saddled with the headaches that I may encounter and may not be able to complete. I thought the task is too huge for my time frame.
Keep discovering my chap, you may soon elucidate what I may have forgotten. 
----- Original Message -----
From: M'lilwana Osanku
To: Leebert Sancho ; Sidney E. Marious
Cc: Patrick Barker ; Waveney Moore ; Claude Seymour ; Marcia Johnson
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:23 AM
Subject: Bentley, Liverpool, Perry, Welch and Thom: Relatives of U. Leebert Sancho
Bentley, Liverpool , Perry, Welch and Thom: Relatives of U. Leebert Sancho
I was of the opinion Auntie Bertha and her sister, Auntie Daris, were birthed in Barbados – and migrated and settled in British Guiana , without other relatives. However, in recent times while in pursuit of members of the kinship of Sancho, I have encountered several persons who informed they are relatives of U. Leebert Sancho.
 A few days ago I spoke with David Kingston who told me he is a relative of Perry, Welch and Thom and those families are relatives of the mother of U. Leebert Sancho. David Kingston is well aware of the children of my Uncles; Lammy Sancho, Selly Sancho, Charlie Sancho and Oswald Sancho. However, David Kingston seems unfamiliar with the children of the sisters of the aforementioned members of Sancho.
David Kingston is also aware of the Cosbert brothers and Michael Sancho.
 The thought which crossed my mind is Patrick Barker is a member of the Perry clan. However, Patrick Barker never gave me the indication that he was aware of a relationship of Perry and Pile.  Therefore, I never thought there was a need to ask Patrick Barker about a possibility that he maybe related to U. Leebert Sancho.  
Prior to this I had heard from Lennox Bentley, and Liverpool who stated they are relatives of U. Leebert Sancho. I had assumed Bentley and Liverpool are members of the Campbell kinship. Now I am positive a closer look must be paid to the Barbadian migration to the communities of the East Coast of Demerara in the process of understanding the relationships of various members of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment