Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 27, 2011

measure of our people

"Every onlooker is either a Coward or a Traitor" - Frantz Fanon

Is a man who deceives his neighbor and says, "I was only joking?" Without wood a fire goes out; without gossip a quarrel dies down. As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts. A malicious man disguises himself with his lips, but in his heart he harbors deceit. A lying tongue hates those it hurts, and a flattering mouth works ruin. New International Version Proverbs Chapter 26: 19-22, 24, 28

In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness. And you say, if we had lived in the days of our forefathers, we would not have taken part with them in shedding the blood of the prophets. So you testify against yourselves that you are descendants of those who murdered the prophets. Fill up, then, the measure of the sin of your forefathers! . Matthew Chapter 23: 28, 30-32

Greetings in the name and in the spirit of Muriel Sancho, Alexander Sancho, Rachael (Campbell) Sancho, Lambert Tuckness Sancho, Josephine P. Young, Bentick Sancho, and Mary (Sumner?) Sancho
Sixty -seven years ago, Alexander Sancho, and his children and numerous members of the people of Sancho and Campbell were mourning the passing of Rachael Sancho which occurred on Saturday, June 24, 1944. In this age, I am mourning the passing of an era. I am referring to accepting the fact, that my impressions of our people of the past are not shared even by their own children. If they were the grandchildren of Rachael and Alexander Sancho would not stand silent as ridicule is heaped against us.
The instant my eyes were opened I saw three humans. I was made to understand. They are my mother, Muriel Sancho (1914-1990), her sister my aunt Inez (1912 -2003) and their uncle's daughter, Muriel Sancho (1912-2006). That was the beginning of my love affair with Sancho as an independent living orgasms. I must admit began my sojourn with apprehension, and eagerness to comprehend the relevance of my maternal heritage to my sojourn. I learnt to acquire and accept my mother's people, unconditionally. I understood and identified myself as a Blackman first and a Sancho second. All other considerations were minute in scope. I realized, simply because I am the son of Muriel members of her generation treated me in similar fashion as the fruit of their own wombs. Thus, Sheila Sharper and her sisters, and Rashleigh Sharper, and numerous other members of the kinship of Sancho impressed upon me that Unconditional love for Sancho is the least I can do.
However, today, and based on the revelations were identified, beginning about November 15, 2011, my love for Sancho has been tested, repeatedly. I can assure, that, I am not as fond of Sancho treading creation today as I am of Sancho of the past. In fact, I wonder who is next to break my heart. I have come to accept and to associate deceit and hypocrisy as apt descriptions for several members of my generation who in the days of my youth I held in great esteem. Respect once lost is never regained. And whenever I perceive my mother, and her siblings, and first cousins are questioned, much less denigrated. Had I met, and/or had I known that jealousy and envy infested their hearts and minds, I would have done what I should have done a long time ago. Ignorance is no excuse. I believe in the philosophy of scorched earth. Therefore, I pray for fire to burn them all. Am I not born under the fire sign?
My indoctrination as Sancho perhaps, began with my introduction to nourishment found within my mother's breasts. It was completed on the East Coast of Demerara, particularly in the Golden Grove and Nabaclis Village District. I was instructed. I am to defend Sancho at all costs. I still believe and accept, to this very day, that, Sancho is the primary reason for my existence. It is my solemn duty as a living being to advocate, defend, and promote the issues which are in the best interest of the people of Sancho. I still fondly recall Mona Roxanne Sancho (Uncle Ossie's daughter) whipping members of a Simon family on the steps of Golden Grove Methodist Church in April 1966. The Simon’s siblings had administered physical and verbal abuse upon my being. I had loved Baby Sancho, perhaps, from the moment I set afoot in my uncle's residence. But, from the moment she represented and stood by me in public, I placed no other female of our generation above her. Thus, I am deeply offended whenever people (relatives and/or associates) enlighten me that the wish any Sancho disposition and/or physical harm, and most especially descendants of Oswald Alexander Sancho, and our parents’ Rachael and Alexander Sancho. I find such thoughts and expressions most revolting. I have had more than enough of that. In fact, too much - enough no more - I cannot tolerate any more of it . . . And that's not what I want to recall as I approach the ending of my sojourn . . .
I do hereby humbly state I wish those of you who will present yourself at the various events relative to the gathering of Sancho to be staged, during the first few days of July 2011 in the capital of the USA and it's vicinity, a most enjoyable and rewarding experience.
I must repeat myself as often as humanly possible - irrespective of people listening or not. I am against the Fothergill, William and Frederick nonsense. It may very well be possible but I doubt it, very much. I take offense to anyone labeling my ancestors, maternal ancestors as deceitful beings, even to their own children and grand children. Do you really understand the magnitude and the origins of such a thought process? I looked through the annals of accepted history of mankind - I have not found one instance of such a claim even amongst the most reprehensible beings known to inhibit the earth at this late date . . . am I then to accept that my ancestor, Bentick Sancho is a man of so unsavory character, that he would conspire with two or three others to deceive even his own representatives on creation . . . certainly, I will not regardless of the remote possibility. Am I to accept those who maliciously dishonor, discredit, deceive and steal property from the estate of Muriel Sancho (1914-1990)? Certainly, I will not cost it what it may. I am saying blast them all and let the chips’ fall where they may . . .
I am also simply saying to those who may very well be interested that I will not be present amongst the gathering of the people of Sancho and their associates in the Washington, D.C. area.
Here are a few of my reasons for dissent. I am not concerned whether you find them satisfactory or persuasive. I do not think I will ever be found at a major gathering of the people. I wear my emotions on my face. I am afraid my eyes won't allow my smiling face to pretend that I am not distraught and traumatized by the revelations which have been made known to me since the middle of November 2010. I have become far too bitter and far too angry to separate a friend from a foe. Muriel Sancho, the very being who stamped me Sancho, and three of our known ancestors, Alexander Sancho, Lammy Tuckness Sancho, and Bentick Sancho, have also been under attack and vilified. That’s not the sort of atmosphere. I would be comfortable therein without thinking and questioning my loyalties. In such a setting I am likely to explode. I really don't ever want to leave such an impress upon the minds of future generations of the people of Sancho. I love Muriel and her siblings, and their first cousins far too much to ever dare to hurt Sancho in such a manner which may be passed down to future generations.
I remain cognizant that Sancho is a microcosm of the African experience during the last six hundred years. Therefore, as found in every society in the human experience there will be found conspirators aiming to discredit our people. European academics have been at that practice for centuries. Is it not said that Judas sold Jesus Christ for thirty pieces of silver? Then, who be Sancho, that there would not be traitors and evil beings amongst us who are really selfish beings intent on self-promotion at the expense of the major iconic figures of the people of Sancho . . . those people are the ones found at the various gatherings of Sancho during the immediate past three decades. Two questions I would love answered are; what have the gatherings of Sancho achieved from its inception to this forth coming events? State valid reasons why such events should not be abandoned and discredited, and terminated and/or at least suspended until some clear and concrete vision promoting the interests of future generations of our people is put in place?
I remain a staunch defender and lover of Muriel Sancho, and her ten siblings, their immediate relatives, and numerous cousins. I remain completely outraged by the published slander, the malicious and blatant lies found in print credited to Kenneth Joyce Robertson claiming and/or expressing Bentick Sancho was a deceitful man and that he conspired with Tuckness Sancho and John Sancho to deceive the generations of Sancho birthed after them. I cannot with a sound mind be found in the midst of such ridicule heaped upon Sancho. I cannot go for that. Unless, I intend to experience my last breath.
There are also other hypocrites likely to be present whom I have no intention and certainly no desire to ever be found in their presence -and when the day I die dawns not over my dead body . . . the last is intended for grand children of Alexander and Rachael Sancho, in whose parents’ residences I slept therein the most. They disgust me - how could they do that to Muriel, Alexander, Rachael and I? The burden of being an indoctrinated Sancho is very heavy indeed . . . I wondered during this last nine months did Muriel do me an injustice and that I need to reprogram my computer - my brain . . . After all Sancho is indeed human - and as such has done what humans have done for millions of years and will do as such until humans no longer exist. There it is . . .
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice, and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. 1 Peter Chapter 2:1.
You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Matthew 7:5

No comments:

Post a Comment