Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Myths of Longevity as Recounted In the Bible.

Genealogists and the Myths of Longevity as Recounted In the Bible.
I have always had great difficulties accepting the accounts of numerous characters found in the various versions of the Bible as entirely wholesome. By that I am saying several biblical epics cannot stand scrutiny positively in a literal and scientific sense, beyond the shadow of doubt. I have involved myself in the process of researching and documenting my maternal heritage with particular emphasizes on the people of Sancho, Campbell and Young as accurately as humanly possible. I could not help but wonder whether a number of the tales of Longevity as Recounted in the Bible are and/or could well be indeed factual.
As selfish as that may seem, The first thought which crossed my mind is had my ancestors survived as long as a number of biblical characters there would be no need to running around the various web sites, trying to contact and communicating with people whom I never really realized existed until I decided it’s about time a comprehensive approach to the genealogy of Sancho must be undertaken.
If a number of my known ancestors; Bentick Sancho, Mary Sancho, Lammy Tuckness Sancho, Josephine P. Young, Alexander Sancho, Rachael Sancho, Muriel Sancho, James Campbell, Coolie Campbell, Walter Young and Walter Young and their relatives and colleagues and the shareholders of Nabaclis, Golden Grove, Victoria, Buxton and Friendship were alive today, then, obviously, this undertaking would certainly not be required to be as extensive as is the current scenario. I cannot help but feeling deprived of the knowledge of self by acts of Nature.
The Book of Genesis informs readers that Methuselah is the son of Enoch. He is the grandfather of Noah. Most unbelievable, Methuselah is said to have lived 969 years. Can you imagine that? Another striking feature of the Bible, sexism is clearly visible. Only one of the thirteen is a female. Sarah had the shortest lifespan some one hundred and twenty seven years. Below I listed thirteen such feats of longevity of biblical characters from Adam to Noah and beyond as found included in the Book of Genesis.
1.And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years; and he died. (Genesis 5:5.)
2.And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years; and he died. (Genesis 5:8.)
3.And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years; and he died. (Genesis 5:11.)
4.And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years; and he died. (Genesis 5:14.)
5.And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred and ninety five years; and he died. (Genesis 5:17.)
6.And all the days of Jared were nine hundred and sixty two years; and he died. (Genesis 5:20.)
7.And all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty five years; and he died. (Genesis 5:23.)
8.And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty nine years; and he died. (Genesis 5:27.)
9.And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy seven years; and he died. (Genesis 5:31.)
10.And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years; and he died. (Genesis 9:29.)
11.And all the days of Terah were two hundred and five years; and Terah died in Haran. (Genesis 11:32.)
12.And Sarah was an hundred and seven years and twenty years old; these were the years of the life of Sarah died in Haran. (Genesis 23:1.)
13.And these are the days of the years of Abraham’s life which he lived; an hundred three score and fifteen years. (Genesis 25:7.)
It seems to my simplistic mindset; people in this day and age cannot accept such absurd tales of feats of longevity as factual. Whenever, I am made aware, that, they do I simply question their sanity. More over such folks I stand miles away there from.
It must be particularity troublesome to Genealogists who are Christians to fathom. How could they not have a sense of being cheated? I suppose the shortness of the lives of their ancestors and especially so whenever they access the book of Genesis ought to encourage such thoughts and conclusions.
I love the name Melchizedek
Allow me to add that I find the morals of the epics in the Bible are very upright, although I find the content to be racist, sexist, and moreover plagiarisms of African and near east cultural traditions. I would go into any further details here; for my primary interest is the knowledge of self devoid of political, religious, and social and/or whatever else is known to mankind. Quite, frankly, I am predominately concerned and committed to the truth - the accurate accounting of the history of my maternal kinships and that of the communities they adopted as their ancestral home.
BIBLICAL FABLES…
I also find it a rather difficult proposition to swallow such fables as
1.Jonah in the belly of the Whale;
2.Moses’ staff turned into a snake.
3.Moses’ partitioning of the red sea.
4.pharaoh’s army drowned in the red sea, shortly thereafter
5.In the fire but not getting burnt
6.Lot’s wife turn into a pillar of salt.

I am not selling out. I simply never bought into indoctrination. If you like call me a runaway slave or doubting Thomas and/or whatever you fancy however I refused to be conquered by whatever means mankind has created or shall create in the not too distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment