Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 24, 2013

Oh My Mother Rachael: - Rachael (Campbell) Sancho (1875?-1944)

Oh if I could live in the past; I would love to witness the interaction between my maternal grandparents. I’d love to witness Papa Allick’s paternal care of his daughters and the reactions and objections of Mama Rachael. I’d love to witness the shenanigans of the Sancho females at the expense of Alwyn Sancho and Papa Allick’s reactions to the cries of his grandson. The only comparable theatre would be perhaps provided by grand Aunt Edith (Sancho) Sharper (1890?-1952)
Tuesday, June 25, 2013 marks the sixty-ninth (69) year since Grandmother Rachael Sancho departed the physical realm of existence. I’d love to witness the length of her hair. Could it really be well pass her rear-end? Could her mother’s hair be even longer than hers? The fact that the remains of Mama Rachael are interred at the cemetery at Victoria, East Coast Demerara, does not sit well at all with me. I dissent. I believe the remains of Mama Rachael should have been buried in Sancho Plot at the cemetery at Golden Grove, East Coast Demerara. How could Papa Allick permit that after some forty-five (45) years of marriage, eleven (11) children, forty-four (44) grandchildren and one great grandchild as of June 1944? By that period Mama Rachael was well on her way to becoming the second most known fruitful Sancho female. Sarah (Sumner?) Sancho, the wife of Bentick Sancho continues to surpass and always will surpass Mama Rachael’s generations for Mama Rachael’s descendants are also hers. I believe, at this point, more than one thousand (1000) Sancho people are descended from Mama Rachael. However, only a few of us – Sancho people - possess the X chromosomes of Mama Rachael.  The X chromosomes of Mama Rachael is found in her daughters; my mother and her sisters; the children of my mother and her sisters, the great-grandchildren by their daughters, and great-grandchildren by their granddaughters,   and so on as per generation after generation.  Mama Rachael’s X chromosomes are that of Tamil speaking peoples of perhaps, Uttar Pradesh in India.
There are still a number of Sancho people who witnessed Mama Rachael. Therefore I would love to thank Nature for providing me with such a wonderful grandmother – the mother of my mother. I wonder whether Muriel Sancho (1914-1990) called her mother’s name everyday between June 25, 1944 and January 29, 1990. If she did not; how often did she cry or sigh Oh my mother Rachael?
Is Rachael (Campbell) Sancho (1875?-1944) your ancestor? If so; what are your thoughts and understanding of her? If you don’t know; why not ask me and/or consult your elders?

No comments:

Post a Comment