Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 24, 2013

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child

Spare the Rod and Spoil the Child - Where did I ever hear that saying? When did I first hear that dictum? How often did I ever hear that maxim? Perhaps, the question one ought to ask is; how often have I heard that cliché in recent past? 
I believe the saying, “spare the rod and spoil the child”, must have been imbedded, implanted in the minds of parents, schoolteachers, especially the schoolmasters, and adults of the communities in rural British Guiana (Guyana) and the British Caribbean during the years prior to 1973, as per some sort of social gospel respecting the ideal of raising adults from childhood.
When Forbes Burnham most thankfully, finally eradicated the wild cane out of the arsenal of the teachers in the school system in Guyana numerous adults lamented the end of times. I am sure my mother was most upset. It is said since mind April 1928, she never ventured into a classroom with a rod of correction. Then, Burnham retired all teachers who attained the age of fifty-five years. Mother was angry, and frustrated to put it mildly. I thought she was ready to bear arms and rebel. She was prevented from accomplishing fifty (50) years as a teacher. That was considered the long standing measure of great service in the teaching profession in British Guiana.
I confess and bear witness; I never witnessed my mother with sugar cane in her hand. I sure felt the effects of the wild cane, belts, electric wires and tamarind rods too many times to last several reincarnations.
Now social scientists are arguing that the banning of physical punishment in the schools is the major reason for the increase of violence and social decay in the societies in the civilized world. I don’t agree. I think legislation and society’s pattern of behaviors against parents, ethnic groups and communities is the primary factor. In the USA; Parents are afraid of others hearing their children crying. Parents are afraid of ACS.
If there was such an institution as ACS during my childhood in British Guiana and teenage years in Guyana I would not have hesitated. I would have lodged complaints against every adult who violated my very being. Trust me. Most folks won’t admit as such but I’ll always will to truth. There it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment