Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 7, 2010

Don’t Forget Your Past

“Good friends we have and good friends we’ve lost along the way in this great future don’t forget your past dry your tears I say” …Robert Nesta Marley (1945-1981) No Woman No Cry.

In recent times, dating back perhaps, the last ten to twenty years, I began hearing of members of the kinship of Sancho being butchers and carrying on the business of operating butcher-shops at the Stabroek Market and in Kitty, on the East Coast of Demerara. Prior, to that period, I was aware, Dumbie being the butcher amongst the people of Sancho. Dumbie is the son of Nelly Mackie. He carried on his business at various buildings, located at the fore corner of the Public Road and the Middle Walk at Nabaclis. I recall Dumbie’s butcher-shops being on the north of the Public Road and on the east and the west of the Middle Walk. I loved being at the slaughterhouse with Dumbie. Numerous Fridays were spent with Dumbie at the slaughterhouse. Also, on the evenings of most Fridays I would venture over to the residence of Nelly Mackie. There I feasted upon the delicacies prepared by Cousin Nelly. I regretted I was never really listening to Cousin Nelly. It seems to me, I protested that I was there for the business of eating and not talking. Whenever I displayed my appetite, most folks were amazed. Their unspoken expressions seem to question - how could someone so skinny and small put away that much food, without being sick?
My memory informs me, on most occasions, I was present, Matthews and Burchell were at the slaughterhouse. Matthews is a grandson of my Uncle. Burchell is a nephew of Dumbie. Thus, he is also a grandson of Cousin Nelly. He remains one of my most favorite people. I am not ashamed to state I miss Burchell even to this very day. I loved walking and chatting with Burchell. I do not remember how many occasions I got very angry at Harold for removing Burchell from my presence at Nabaclis or Cove & John. I remember clearly, the outlandish claims made by Clare Daly. It was reported to her brother and subsequently to her mother that their sister and daughter, was carrying on with Burchell. The mother forced her daughter to make an incredible report at the Police Station at Cove and John. Most incredibly, the mother tore her daughter’s clothing in front of my mother’s residence. Mother and Cousin Belle were eyewitnesses. Clare Daly apologized to us. The unsavory episode really had to adverse effect upon us. As a result of this incident, I had to accept employment. Thus, I enlisted into the Guyana Defence Force. Since, May 26, 1966 I aspired to be a Commissioned Officer, therein. I used to say I was born to be a soldier.
Tonka was also there on several occasions. He was also self-employed. He also sold meat. His wife prepared the delicacies made from animals. I am really sure; Tonka and his wife operated such a business at Victoria Village.

Don’t Forget Your Past?

No comments:

Post a Comment