Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Disappointed and Disillusioned not Shocked

“Let the truth condemn whomever truth would condemn.” … Minister Louis Farrakhan

I possess every intention of paying the utmost attention to the legal ramifications of the fallout in the aftermath of the Manning Marable publication, “Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention.” I would pay rapt attention closer than I ever did follow the exploits of Rohan Kanhai and Roy Fredericks in cricketing arenas in the British Commonwealth, 1954-1977. I admit I made scrapbooks with clippings of items taken from the newspapers circulated in the colony of British Guiana (Guyana) during the careers of those two illustrious batsmen. They are practically loved ones, members of my family unit to me. Mother would only pay attention to cricket whenever Rohan was batting. I offered Cricket begun and ended with their careers.
Malcolm X was assassinated forty-six years ago. The researcher applied himself for more than twenty years at the task. He is highly recommended and respected. However, I am of the opinion. Marable’s biography is likely to reopen wounds. Certainly, the publication will not provide closer for persons intimately connected to the principal character. In fact, it has opened fresh wounds.
It is my understanding Ilyasah Shabazz and Malaak Shabazz; two of six daughters of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz have begun voicing their thoughts of outrage against content found in the publication. The old adage sex sells remains quite true in perhaps all societies on earth even in this the age of information. What was the intention of Dr. Manning Marable? Did he deliberately add content of a sexual nature simply to ensure the venture was profitable? Did Marable allude to sexual improprieties on the behalf of Malcolm X and Betty Shabazz out of malice? Was it a malicious effort to reduce Malcolm X and Dr. Betty to racial stereotypes? Can the claims of sexual malpractice be proven unfounded at this late date? Would not that be slander? Can children of dead parents, file, prove and win a law suit for slander on the behalf of their parents and/or the estate thereof in the State of New York and the other states in the USA? If, that is possible - How could the Shabazz family proceed in a Court of Law? Who is liable? Is the Estate of the Author Manning Marable, liable? Is the publisher, Viking, and Penguin liable?
I find that Marable should not have allowed unproven material in the publication. I am referring to the alleged sexual encounter between Malcolm and a white male and Betty Shabazz and Charles Kenyatta and Malcolm and unnamed females. Unless the white male and the unnamed females produce positive proof of the alleged encounters, people should regard this as gossip, and sleaze. That ought not to be associated with a respected researcher. Regarding the alleged Betty Shabazz and Charles Kenyatta affair, this too should be put to rest without authentic proof. There was no need to attempt to heap ridicule and scorn upon two of the most respected icons, easily the most outstanding male-female pairing in Global Black Experience. I find it reprehensible. That Marable would choose of his own free will to add further pain and suffering to the Shabazz family as if they have not endured more than enough pain during the last forty six years. It seems to me Marable acted in a most irresponsible way. I believe he focussed on profits over people. His effort must be classified as sensationalism and thus capitalistic. He perpetuated an attack against the integrity of the characters of Malcolm X and Dr. Betty Shabazz. By, so doing, Dr. Marable has thrown blows against conscious black people, everywhere, for posterity. I am really, disappointed but not at all shocked by the assault Manning Marable delivered. I am disillusioned with the actions and thought processes as expressed by numerous professionals. I am referring to those trained and accepted in academic institutions of the western society. After all, why can not all of the academic professional aspire to be like Walter Rodney, George G. M. James, Ivan Van Sertima, Jan Carew, Edward Scobie, John Jackson, Yosef Ben Jochannan, and John Hendrik Clarke? Certainly, Malcolm X had a name for people like Dr. Marable. He referred to them prominently in his speeches. Simply said, I lost all admiration and respect I had entertained for Manning Marable. That’s my appreciation of the legacy of Manning Marable.
My heart bleeds for this family. I possess great love for the members of the Shabazz family. I grew up paying great attention to material respecting them as much as I could wherever I resided.
Perhaps, it is as good a time as any for the Shabazz sisters to visit their relatives. I am referring to the descendants and relatives of Jupiter and Mary Jane Langdon in La Digue, Grenada, British West Indies. Malcolm X never made it to Grenada. What’s preventing his daughters from visiting Grenada and West Africa is beyond my simple understanding?

No comments:

Post a Comment