Powered By Blogger

Friday, May 3, 2013

Chris Gayle - Slugger Not Batsman



Chris Gayle - Slugger - 175 not out 17 sixes and 13 fours. Gayle does not use his feet, at all. Gayle reaches for the deliveries. He slugs wherever he chooses. Gayle does not attempt the hook shot. Gayle has not mastered and/or displayed the art or skill of batsmanship.  - Hell No.
I watched Sobers hit sixes with ease in smooth flow. Those three Guyanese left handed batsmen, Clive Lloyd, Roy Fredericks and Alvin Kallicharran were happy hookers. They were all armed with a wide variety of pulsating strokes. Their cover and sugar drives off either foot were eye candy. I don't see that anymore. I tried to watch Gayle and Sehwag. I can't they are tough to appease my cricketing mind. They bat like tail-enders; like fast bowlers of the past. I prefer to fret about Lance Gibbs' failure to handle the bat. I find it difficult to accept Lillee and Thomson bowled bouncers at Gibbs in 1975/1976 ....What a waste of energy, to say the least...
What's with the all capital letters? Gayle and Sehwag and all those baseball hitters are sorry sights to traditional cricket lovers. I don't expect to witness Mr. October (Reggie Jackson), or Darryl Strawberry or Dwight "Doc" Gooden or Ricky Henderson in a cricket matches. Small wonder Chanderpaul is considered the top batsman in test match cricket. The current cricketers are mediocre. West Indies isn’t going to dominate the cricketing world for 15 days or 15 months with the products I have witnessed. There will not be a repeat of the 15 years' dominance of the cricketing world as under the captaincies of Clive Lloyd and Vivian Richards. Forget about that - those were cricketers.

No comments:

Post a Comment