Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 20, 2010

Kenneth Joyce Robertson - Vexation of Soul of Sancho

“Jah Jah guide me from my friends for I know they are my enemies” . . . Peter Tosh (1944-1987)
“Fools die for the want of wisdom - vexation of the soul is vanity”
“Why do you fight each other? Why do you kill your brother? Then your reward will be the cemetery” . . . Peter Tosh (1944-1987)

That’s the reason the children cry


Oh Bumba Klaat - this Guy, Kenneth Joyce Robertson was really and truly serious. The content likely in that exercise will not shock me. I am sure such personalities as Imhotep, Eusi Kwayana, Malcolm X and Antonio Maceo will not be found there in. Those are freedom fighters I would be only too willing to accept without much argument. Now seriously, Kenneth Joyce Robertson had previously, perhaps, on more occasions than I care to remember told me about his point of view. I simply concluded he was trying to encourage me not to narrow my focus upon Ignatius Sancho and other kinships of Sancho of the United Kingdom. When he suggested that Bentick Sancho, John Sancho and Tuckness Sancho were not brothers at all - the band of brothers’ oath - I never took that seriously. I do not recall Kenneth Joyce Robertson even point out the names of Fothergill, Frederick and William. Had he done so, I might have requested researchers look up those three and their relatives on the Essequebo coast, and what could be learnt of their ethnicity and parentage in West Africa.
When Kenneth Joyce Robertson began to tell me, that not every Sancho in British Guiana are relatives. He lost me. You have to understand; I was indoctrinated on the subject of Sancho above and beyond all else. I grew to be told Sancho of Berbice came from the East Coast of Demerara.
Let us now for the sake of recognizing the possible implications and their reverberations respecting the Humanities and Social sciences as handed down by the oral traditions respecting Sancho; if Kenneth Joyce Robertson is absolutely accurate.
What is he really saying? Fothergill is deceitful; so too are Frederick and William. The three were absurd beings. They were most of all narrowed minded and thoughtless souls. They possessed characteristics I find most objectionable.
Kenneth Joyce Robertson is telling us that the three men deliberately deceived their children and grand children - or is Kenneth Joyce Robertson saying the story of the three men were lost - but now resituated and reclaimed by him.
Among the question I propose to the author are the following; if Bentick Sancho is Fothergill, and the others are not his biological brothers - why Bentick Sancho did not tell his children, and at least, perhaps, two grandchildren, Allick Sancho (1873-1945) and Big Daddy Christy (1880-1956) may have been too young to understand. I need to acquire his date of birth. I am thinking the year is 1880 and not 1875. Perhaps they were being deceitful to the magistrate and the legal system in British Guiana in 1892.
Can the author state beyond reasonable doubt that the three were not even relatives and/or the same ethnic group. What ethnic group do they belong to?
What are the names of the seven members of the kinship of Sancho who are entombed in the vault in the cemetery at golden grove on the East Coast of Demerara?
Leebert Sancho - I think Bentick Sancho also had a wife named Sarah, perhaps Sarah Giles, and a son named Charles Sancho and a daughter named Sarah. Could this be another Bentick Sancho? Could Bentick Sancho remarry after the death of Mary Sumner in 1849?
Who then is Lambert Tuckness Bentick Sancho? Did he exist? Or he another of Fothergill’s deceitful and absurd story?

Kenneth Joyce Robertson is stating that our Sancho heritage is unworthy. It is a heritage forged in deceit. It is ludicrous for me to accept that an ancestor I never met but revered was satanic to his own children and grandchildren. I think that’s a bit much - more than I am ever willing to accept.
The author is telling you and I that Cousin Phyllis Kendall, Cousin Nelly Mackie, the children of Theophilous Luke, Sancho of southern Trinidad and others unknown to me are not the relatives of Bentick Sancho. What then is he therefore expecting of us? If he was sensitive man he would have understood that fragments of the stories handed down from generations to generation over a course of 160 years will likely survive in different quarters of the kinships and pass for historical truth. Lammy Tuckness Sancho was an educated man. He was capable of writing at least two letters in the appropriate English grammar. I am told he possess a tremendous memory. I guess the size of his skull ought to have indicated to me he had a huge brain. Yes I saw his skeleton in April 1966. I saw the bones and hair when I accompanied numerous descendants of Allick
Sancho and Rachael Campbell to Sancho plot at the cemetery at Golden grove to bury Elsa Sancho my aunt. Muriel screamed when I begun telling her what I have seen. One of the Sharper’s - I can not remember which one - but it was likely Sidney Sharper - sealed the seven cracks which was visible on the tomb of Tuckness Sancho. Numerous Sancho died that year. I have always felt whatever the number of cracks upon that tomb that would be the corresponding number of persons of Sancho who will die that year. I used to keep a regular watch on that tomb. I often visited and slept in the Sancho plot on my grand father’s grave at all hours of the day and night. It was my sanctuary. my holy ground. I killed no animal there - not ants, snakes, mosquitoes - the only life form I destroyed was grass and weeds which would overrun the tombs if left unchecked. I am told the cemetery is a mess today. A jungle soldier could hang out there for days without being noticed. Well that’s a result of the politics of paramountcy of the party - which destroyed the ruling elite and the system of village districts which the colonialist regimes implemented upon our ancestors’ plantations.

No comments:

Post a Comment