Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 20, 2010

What gives with Glenroy Williams

Lies infuriate listeners who know exactly what they are -
I can recall my mother being absolutely besides herself. She was lamenting the fact that Tom Keen requested her to back up his claim when he said he is a descendant of Sancho in her presence. I heard her say words to this effect. How dare that man? The gall of some people, he knows that I know he is not a Sancho - but insisted upon me to support his absolutely false claim. He is a Cupido. That’s what he is. He is not even a Campbell. Who really knows what he is? I was not the pillow.
The evidence suggests that while being transported from the East Coast Car Park to the corner of the Public Road and the Middle Walk at Nabaclis, the irrepressible Tom Keen, the undoubted champion of untruths of the generation immediately prior to mine, demanded that my mother second his absurd claim of being a member of the kinship of Sancho. Mother was having none of it. She regards such as blasphemy. Cousin Olga was also present. She tried to calm my mother down fearing the old girl may become stricken by high blood pressure. She further stated she never witnessed my mother in such a furious mood.
I do not believe King tom Keen ever apologized. I think neither mother nor I ever traveled or spoken to Tom Keen again. Since that incident I simply refuse to acknowledge his presence.

What gives with Glenroy Williams? A few years ago, I heard him arguing with Cush. He stated Cush does not know me. He continued Cush is a canje man. then, he questioned how in this world Cush could know me. Well! I got tired of the nonsense. I told Sue-bow I knew Cush before I meet you. I begged him to stop it. It seems he will not. I must realize that the safest thing for me to do is to totally ignore this fellow. I may very well at some point unable to retrain myself.
On an evening, in the summer 2010, I heard say he knows all of my uncles and aunts. He was trying to perhaps impress a female. She was hanging out with us. She is a Georgetown girl. The female stated I possess a recognizable face. However, she cannot quite place it. I asked her whether she was familiar with people of Princes Street area . . . she said yes. Then I told her I have an aunt. She resided at Princes Street. The female asked me her name. I said Hildred. Believe it Sue-Bow jumped in saying I have no such aunt. He began rattling off the names of my mother’s sisters. The female then said Hildred resided at Louisa Row. She visited my aunt often. She mentioned the names of my Cousins. She hinted that a female also resided with Hildred. That female was a student at Bishop’s High School and her brother made his intentions known to her.
I told I believed she is referring to my siblings. Sue-bow was flabbergasted. I asked if he ever saw my father. He said no . . . I said I believe that’s the most honest statement I have heard from you in the longest.
About the middle of the month of November last, two events occurred which left a taste too bitter for my understanding. They completely exposed the fact that English is an alien Language to me.
A few weeks ago, he said he found three pounds of gold in the interior of Guyana. Well! I am not entirely sure Glenroy ever visited Linden much less Essequebo. I do not know. I never heard of it previously.
That fable was followed by yet another. He stated he owned three thousand heads of cattle in Guyana. Again, that is baffling to me. When will it end? Glenroy is a grown man somewhere in the vicinity of sixty years of age.

Shortly, thereafter while seated in a vehicle on Franklin Avenue I noticed Glenroy. I do not know what got into me. I decided to say hello to him. The mighty Sue bow opened his mouth. He started saying every night he has a twenty-two-year-old female in his bed. He continued to bellow nonstop. It seems not even for air. Certainly, neither thought nor accuracy was a concern of his. I noted the man is losing his hair but not his flare for lying, needlessly. Isn’t that most remarkable? Sue-bow ran up his mouth in the presence of an East Indian. He has no idea whether the man likes Black people or hates us. He has no determination relative to the man’s logic on racism. He does not know if that Indo-Guyanese is simply bemused by Black people making spectacles of themselves. I am open to the probability that he ridicules us whenever he is amongst his fellow East Indians.
Sue-bow carried on about, he knows I was born and bred at Nabaclis. He further stated. He and I know the back dam at Golden Grove, Nabaclis and Victoria like the back of our hands. We could find any bed we wanted to at any time of the night. I could not stand it no longer. I left the vehicle. I began contemplating what to do about the latest episode. As I stood there, I was quite sure I heard him reveal personal stuff. He mentioned some thing about my mother. I did not quite get it - because by then, I was about ready to blow my cool.
The Indian fellow looked at me. He realized I wanted no part of the unfolding spectacle. A man making absurd statements is a vexation to both my mind, soul and body. He then dismissed Glenroy from our presence. By simply stating he had urgent matters to attend immediately. That being said his immediate absence was highly appreciated. The Indo-Guyanese has begun referring to him as three pound gold. He would say when last you see three pound gold. If he had three pound gold what is he doing here in Brooklyn? He further said he does not know of any in Guyana who possessed three thousand heads of cattle . . . Also if three pound gold is a champion welder as he claims - why isn’t he employed by a top company or self employed. I hated to admit it - I said would you employ a man with such an attitude - if you did how long do you think you would be able to put up with it?
I had previously warned about talking about me and/or my immediate relatives, behind our backs and/or in our presence.
That man continues to possess an extremely hard head. He simply refuses to listen. He’ll never get it. I have embarked upon a program of ignoring the man at all costs. Even if he accidentally bumps into me, I will not acknowledge him. That’s it. It’s over - no more of such nonsense. It seems to be the best policy. In fact, Eglande Younge told me when it comes to round back as he is known in Crown Heights, that’s his policy. It is probably the consensus.

No comments:

Post a Comment